Since its inception, volunteers have been the life blood of Emmaus House. Volunteers like you enable Emmaus House to serve more people, provide relief to our small administrative staff and bring new relationships that further our collective mission of improving lives in Peoplestown.
Individual Volunteer Opportunities
- Leading and assisting with art activities such as wood turning, pottery, jewelry-making, painting and more on Saturdays from 9:30 am -12:30 pm.
- Serving and cleaning up for our community supper held the fourth Thursday of every month from 5:30 – 7:30 pm.
- Answering phones and greeting Emmaus House visitors on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 9 am – 2 pm.
- Planting, weeding, and mowing our many gardens.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Organize a Drive
- Food Drive:Food stamps do not adequately cover a family’s food needs. Each week, Emmaus House distributes groceries to 15 households. Families can also get additional groceries once every 3 months. One bag of food feeds a family of three for 3 days.
- School and Household Supplies Drive: Food stamps do not pay for many of the necessities in life such as pencils and notebooks, toilet paper and detergent. Emmaus House needs school supplies and household items to distribute to families in our neighborhood all year.
- Christmas Toys Drive: Each Christmas Eve, Emmaus House hosts a holiday festival. With the generous support of volunteers and donors, we distribute wrapped gifts to over 800 children.
- Make Sandwiches for the Walk-In Help Center
- Each day, Emmaus House distributes sandwiches to hungry guests of the Lokey Center. Sandwich making is a great and easy outreach project for any age group. Package the sandwiches in Ziploc bags and then return the individually wrapped sandwiches in the empty bread bag. We freeze the sandwiches and distribute them as needed. Peanut butter and jelly works well and meat with or without cheese is always a hit. No mayo or mustard please.
- Host a Holiday Party for Our Children and Seniors
- Groups of all ages can raise funds and throw a party for our senior adults or for our many children’s programs. Martin Luther King Day, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, Saint Patrick’s Day, 4th of July, not to mention Easter, Pentecost, and Christmas. You choose the reason and a season to celebrate with us.
Please contact Elizabeth Roles, Associate Director of Programs at 404/525-5948, ext. 27 for information on volunteering.